Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lo...Lee...Ta

Yesterday was very straightforward. I started out my studying for my Econ003 final. I basically did that most of the day until 7pm cause that''s when my final started. I got there about 5 minutes late but that's no big deal. I completely choked in the final. I could not remember anything that i studied for the life of me, I'm so disappointed in that. I didn't do much after the final. I surfed the net and I started trying to set my farts on fire. It took ALOT of tries but I finally did it. Next step is to catch it on camera so everyone can catch a glimpse. After my accomplishment of the day, I started my movie fest...

Lo...Lee...Ta


Lyne's iteration of Lolita comes a little bit over 30 years after Kubrick's iteration that came out in 1962. It has a lot ot live up to because Kubrick's film was simply amazing. I'm happy to say that although Lyne's Lolita is not as good as Kubrick's, it's still a stellar movie. The main difference between the two iterations is whereas Kubrick's has a more black comedic feel to it, Lyne's film is much darker. It's definitely more sexual and it's easy to see why it was controversial when it first hit the screen. The casting in this movie was superb. Jeremy Irons plays the role of Humbert perfectly and Dominique Swain looks and portrays Lolita beautifully. Humbert's love for Lolita is debilitating in this movie. Lolita is portrayed as a young femme fatale. She's dangerous and controlling. It exemplifies the power that women have over men; putting that into a the body of a 14 year old and you get a dangerous individual. Louis CK says that men will rip off your arms and throw it into a river but they will leave your humanity intact, but women will shit inside of your heart. Lolita is a prime example of this. She utterly destroys Humbert through the course of the film and the evolution of her character is superb. You see her go from a child to a woman. the changes are so subtle that you don't see them as they happen but when you look back, as you will at the end of the film, the change is drastic. The same can be said about Humbert. You see Humbert go from a simple interest in Lolita, to love, to desperation, to utter despair all because of Lolita. She's simply a dangerous individual. It is this that makes this movie tough to watch, but impossible to walk away from. It'll bother you and make you feel uncomfortable. At times, it's completely disturbing. Lolita is so alluring and you want to get closer to her even though its forbidden. Who knew a movie can make pedophilia seem so, normal. I definitely sympathized more for Humbert than for anyone else. Even though he is technically the criminal, he seems to make the audience look past the pedophilia and allows them them to see the humanity behind it. If you haven't seen this movie, and you probably have not, catch it as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed. Just a note to all the guys out there, stay away from all the nymphets....

And next...

500 Days of Summer is just a great movie. Like the movie says, it's not a love story. That is completely true. It goes against all the regular conventions that have been used by the movie industry and creates its own way of telling the story of Tom and Summer. Their "relationship" is told out of sequence which strangely works to show what happened between the two. Everyone will probably  be able to connect with this movie in one way or another. I know the movie had many moments that made me look back and think "ah no wonder..." and I'm sure many others will have this. It seems like the movie is telling everyone to just grow the fuck up and deal already. Throw away the expectations of romantic grandeur as its just a waste of time. It took me so long to finally watch this movie and i can say without a doubt that I totally missed out. Watch this movie!

And finally...

This movie was utter shit. It tries to be smart, it fails. It tries to be shocking, it fails. It tries to be Saw, it utterly fails. The characters were annoying, especially Melissa Joan Hart. The end was disappointing. Even the plot was basically nonexistent. Don't watch it, it's worth the time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment