Saturday, March 27, 2010

Geeks rejoice!

What can I say about The Guild? It’s just a great little internet show type thing. I don’t even know how to describe it. It’s one of those acquired taste type things as it’s mainly aimed towards the geek audience. Luckily, I fall under that category. It centers around the gaming subculture, more specifically the MMORPG population. I don’t really fall in that category cause I never really played a legitimate MMORPG, but I did play Duels for a significant amount of time and I was an active part of a guild. I regret to say I was an officer in the Fight Club Guild in Duels. Enough about me, I’m getting off subject. So yea, basically The Guild follows a guild as they try and balance their online gaming with their seemingly interconnected real life lives. Those that don’t know geekism and geek culture might get a lost or put off by this, but those that do get it will just love it. It definitely doesn’t hurt that Felicia Day aka Codex is quite a good looking redhead; hell I find her awkward geekiness kind of hot. Every member of the guild has their unique personas. Codex is the most regular person but still suffers from her agoraphobia. Then there’s Zaboo who is the hardcore geek that’s utterly obsessed with Codex. Clara, the bad mother who would rather play the game than raise her kids. Bladezz, who is basically the immature teenage boy that trolls everyone else. Tinkerballa who is the asian gamer who is all up on her tech. Finally, there is Vork, who is the guildmaster. basically he is the middle aged man whose life revolves around the game. The back and forth banter, witty dialogue, awkward moments, and innate humanity is what gives the show its appeal. Put simply, The Guild is a geek’s dream show. Kinda makes me want to play duels again….kinda….

0 comments:

Post a Comment