Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bummed it

Alright, so I lagged on this shit a little bit. Saturday was kind of a bust. I didn’t have a ride to J Tucks B Bash so i just bummed it with my Netflix and PS3 all day. Did some Modern Warfare via PSN with Ryan, that was a bust cause I suck on an HDTV. I’m just so used to my regular SDTV, it makes quite a big difference. After a little bit of MW2, I started to hit up my netflix.

First up was my re-watch of Super Size Me. Everyone knows about this movie. Very simple concept, Morgan Spurlock eats only McDonald’s for a month. Simple idea, complex outcome. Think of what happens to you when you go on a drinking binge with a addictive aspect of tobacco. Who knew a high fat diet does shit like that? Being barraged with so many facts and figures along with the disturbing effects on Morgan’s health makes a pretty shocking movie. I’m not going to say much about this film just cause majority of people have already seen it. If you haven’t seen it, watch it now….while eating McDonald’s.

Next up…
The Girl Next Door, what to say about this movie? Well, it’s based on a book which was based on a true story. I started reading the book but I never finished it because I started to read We Need To Talk About Kevin. From what I read, the book was pretty good so I had pretty high expectations for the movie. Boy was I disappointed. It didn’t disturb me as much as it claimed it would, but yet again, I’m pretty desensitized regarding gore and torture. If you’re still easily disturbed or grossed out it might be worth you watching this movie. It;s very grim and shows how you never know what goes on in your neighbors’ homes. It’s hard to believe this actually happening to someone but it really did. The movie takes place as a memory; sort of a recollection of childhood events. The protagonist is an adult man who remembers what happened when he was younger. It’s not a horrible movie, hell, it’s not a bad movie. It just didn’t grab my attention and I couldn’t really stay interested in it. I’m willing to give it a second try, but I’ll wait a while before I do. If you’re interested in the movie, you might be better off reading the book. If you intend on watching the movie and reading the book, watch the movie first, then read the book. Reading the book first will just make the movie seem that much worse than it actually is.

After a short movie break and a small dinner, I finally break and go to Best Buy. I go in and go straight to the PS3 section. It is there that I have my dilemma of the day: get the God of War Collection along with God of War 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2, or Final Fantasy XIII. After a while thinking about which one to get, i decide on Bad Company 2. I decided on it because Andres from work plays it so I already have a buddy that I can play it with. Sana has the first two God of Wars for the PS2 and he plans on getting a PS2 during the summer, so I can just borrow that form him before getting God of War 3 thus saving me some money. And final Fantasy XIII is a solo only game so I can wait out the until it falls in price like I did for Metal Gear Solid 4.


After about an hour playing BC2 online and a short stint of the campaign, I decide to bake up a pizza and watch another movie.


I’ve been meaning to watch Memento for a ling time now. Dana recommended the movie to me months and months ago, but I never seemed to get around to watching it. I finally watched it today, and wow, really good movie. It’s like a puzzle mystery neo-noir film. It Nolan gives a different take on movie telling by actually doing the film backwards. You start at the end of the film and work yourself backwards and sideways. It’s a really good concept that worked well in the movie. It’s confusing yet makes complete sense.  It twists and turns always keeping you from getting your footing and when you finally do, Nolan throws you a curve ball. Guy Pierce gives a strong and compelling performance, although I will always see him as Fernand Mondego; you better know where that name comes from otherwise it’s just sad. Simply put, this movie is great and it should not be missed. Go watch it now…rent it…buy it…just do whatever you can to see this film.

0 comments:

Post a Comment