Saturday, February 27, 2010

Exams that leads to The Crazies

This week has been plagued me with disappointments in school. I spend the past two days "studying" for my midterms, and my studying I mean trying to go over the material without falling asleep or falling victim to the stumble button on my browser. All in all my efforts went to waste as I was completely obliterated by the Ochem midterm. After all my "studying" I ended up with an 18/100.I'm not stressing about it too much cause we can drop one midterm score and we have another midterm coming up. And with the current grade breakdown and the horrible 18%, I am riding the class with a solid C grade. That should go up once the next exam takes place of this one.


Moving on to something more interesting, I hung out with Sana today after we made our way back from Riversuck. We ended up eating at his mom's restaurant across the street from Mt. Sac. The place is called Coffee Break. I had the Lamb Spare Rib Sizzling Platter and a Lemon Slush. All in all it was pretty damn good and hit the spot.

After the meal we went to AMC to catch The Crazies that just premiered last night. Romero has done it again! the Crazies is a well made movie that takes ideas from the zombie genre and uses it in a new light. Timothy Olyphant, or who I like to call him, Olyphantastic, actually plays a decent role. The last decent movie I remember him in was The Girl Next Door in 2004. The other two movies that I can think of at the top of my head that he was is was Live Free or Die Hard where he played a prissy villain and Hitman where is performance was pretty dry and one dimensional. His role in The Crazies is definitely an improvement over his past roles and seems to work well for Mr. Olyphantastic. The movie has a pretty quick pace and it doesn't let up that much, if at all. There isn't anything in the film that sets it apart from other horror type movies as it takes the best parts of the genre and puts it into one, jump scares included. There's enough gore to get the point across but it never goes into the gratuitous department like the Saw series or Hostel does. Romero shows that he knows the apocalyptic/horror genre well with this movie and it should go into the classic Romero list in no time. If you like horror movies or zombie/apocalypse type of films, this is a definite watch as it is one of the better film in the genre (at least in terms of recently released films) and it's even a pretty good standalone movie as the pace and progression will keep you interested in the movie. Watch it, it's worth the price of admission.

0 comments:

Post a Comment